Summer is the time for family vacations, camp adventures, leisurely afternoons at the pool and … well, tutoring. We know your child would rather be carefree this summer, but it’s crucial to reinforce what he or she has learned during the school year and prepare for next year. Here are 7 reasons to make time for summer learning:
- Helps prevent summer loss. All students experience learning losses when they do not engage in educational activities during the summer. On average, students lose approximately 2.6 months of grade level equivalency in math skills during the summer months.
- Is a confidence building experience. If you’re child has struggled at all during the school year, the summer is the perfect time to focus on challenging areas. After a summer of tutoring, your child will head back to the classroom more competent and confident.
- Is a great time to master difficult concepts. As you know, material and concepts get repeated throughout your child’s education. If your child could use some extra help and reinforcement, take the time this summer to make sure that he or she has mastered necessary information.
- Can be used to preview next year’s material. Knowing that your child may be facing more challenging classes and subjects next year, get ahead by reviewing material now.
- Keeps students engaged in academic activities. To prevent learning loss over the summer and to continue with progress made during the school year, it’s a good idea to keep your child’s academics up over the summer. The routine will also make it easier to head back to school at summer’s end.
- Is a stress-free time of year. Since there’s more time and less pressure in the summer, it’s a good time to catch up or focus on skills. Your child may benefit from coming to tutoring late morning when he or she is fresh instead of in the evening after an already busy school day.
- Prepares for the SAT or ACT. With busy schedules during the school year, summer is the perfect time for your high school student to focus on SAT and ACT preparation. Individual tutoring can strengthen key areas for your student.
Bottom line: Summer is a great time to catch up and get ahead.
For extra help or enrichment, we offer individualized tutoring for students in grades K-12. Our experienced and caring educators provide one-on-one instruction designed to meet your child’s learning style. Without the pressures of schoolwork, your child can focus on a subject or two and take the extra time to absorb the information.
We also offer SAT and ACT test preparation. Your high school student can come for one-on-one tutoring or get together with some friends for some small group sessions. However you like to work, take advantage of the summer pace to get a jump start on fall testing.
For rising first, second and third graders, we offer small group writing workshops. The classes are designed to focus on one of the biggest challenges being faced in elementary schools, equipping our students to do the TRC (Text Reading Comprehension) written responses to the reading comprehension questions and directions given after they read a selection. Age-specific materials are used to review pertinent comprehension skills and to guide the students in developing strategies to use in writing complete and coherent responses. The books and activities are geared to different reading level ranges based on the benchmark goals for beginning the next grade.
Summer tutoring sessions run from June 13 through August 19.
Contact us to learn more and sign up for summer learning!